At DCU, we pride ourselves on both the promotion of sports and physical activity as an integral part of the student experience, the outstanding performances of our elite athletes supported through DCU Sports and Wellbeing, and the expertise of our School of Health and Human Performance in the science that underpins sport.
DCU Sports and Wellbeing works to enhance student wellbeing through participation in sport, and to support our elite student athletes to excel under two priority pillars: Engage and Excel.
Engage: Every student is supported to enjoy the wellbeing benefits of sport and physical activity
Participation in sport and physical activity is an integral part of the DCU student experience, fostering attributes to deal with the demands of education today, and improving lifelong health and wellbeing. Core activities include:
- 37 active sports clubs that encourage students, no matter what their level of ability, to engage in sport and physical activity, whether that is soccer, Gaelic games and athletics or boxing, aikido and fencing
- State-of-the art facilities for all, including pool, sport and gym facilities in DCU Sports Complex, a 5-a-side Soccer Centre, two floodlit all-weather and two full-size grass pitches
- Championing women in sport and ensuring that women have equal opportunities to participate and excel
- Working with sport National Governing Bodies (NGBs) to promote participation in sport, including Sport Ireland, Athletics Ireland, the GAA, the IRFU, Swim Ireland, Hockey Ireland and Cricket Ireland
Excel: Our top student athletes get cutting-edge supports to be the best they can be, in sport and in life
We aim to provide an unrivalled dual personal and professional development programme for our performance athletes. We support over 150 performance athletes each year across our priority sports of Gaelic games, athletics, soccer, basketball and rugby who receive supports such as:
- An annual sports scholarship to help with living, training and competition costs
- Access to specialist coaching
- Individual strength and conditioning programmes
- State-of-the-art pool, sport and performance gym facilities in DCU Sports Complex
- Academic flexibility and additional tuition